"Ward E2"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

My father was on this ward for a month, somewhat longer than he should have been but that was mainly due to miscommunication between social services in two boroughs and the NHS generally about onward care. My father has dementia and as an acute medical ward patients with dementia are possibly not intended to have long stays here beyond successful treatment of medical conditions. However I have to say that the nursing staff on ward E2 were fantastic making sure that Dad was washed, fed, and cared for every day even though at times this just have been extremely challenging for them. His feet which we a particular problem area were washed and nails were trimmed, hair combed, drinks and food were plentiful and staff were friendly and helpful throughout. Dad needed security cover due to his tendency to wander but every single member if the security staff I met was sympathetic to Dad's condition and tried to get to know him. They were very gentle with him and we extremely professional in very trying circumstances. I really can't praise the staff highly enough. I am so grateful to them for the care they gave above and beyond the call of duty.

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

It is very gratifying to read such a positive posting and I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this. I have passed on your comments to the management team responsible for the ward and asked that they share it with the ward.

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

I sincerely apologise that these were not responded to in a timely manner.

This was due to lack of administrative support at the time which has now been rectified.

I would like to reassure you however that your comments were forwarded to the appropriate teams who were pleased to hear that you had a good experience at our hospital.

Patient and Customer Services Manager