"Outside the loop"

About: Broomfield Hospital

My wife was admitted two weeks ago following a reaction to the chemotherapy drugs she had been prescribed. Now back home I think it is worth drawing attention to what has transpired during her stay. The nursing staff are under severe pressure with too few nurses on duty to cope with the patients. there were days when I didn't actually see a nurse and was unable to find one when one was needed. Most of the nursing staff seemed pleasant enough but they were rushed off their feet. What has really upset me is the reluctance of the staff to engage with the family. The final insult was on discharge when the nurse who had been looking after my wife in the run up to her discharge sent a message through another nurse that she did not consider there was any need to speak to us before my wife left. Apart from anything else that was extremely rude. And then there is the continual problem of contacting the ward by phone. It is important for any family to be able to speak to the ward to find out how their loved ones are faring. My wife was in the hospital for two weeks and I was only able to speak to someone on 3 days. the rest of the time the phone rang and rang but it was not answered. All in all I think my wife received a good level of care but my lasting impression is that families are considered a great inconvenience and are to be ignored whenever possible.

Response from Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience at Broomfield Hospital while your wife was being treated. If you could contact me either via email at helen.west@meht.nhs.uk or on 01245 514460 I would be happy to investigate this further for you and ensure the ward concerned receive your comments.

Many thanks

Response from Jonathan Wright, Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Further to my colleagues post.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on the experience you had with us it can help us to make changes.

We are aware that relatives sometimes find it difficult to get through to wards particularly those in Zone A and are looking at improving the telephone system. We are also trialling open visiting on a ward to see if this will help friends and relatives with visiting loved ones and help them gain better access to the staff that are caring for their loved ones. We are also redisigning the Ward Information Boards that are displayed outside each ward that will contain the contact details for each Ward Sister so relatives and friends can contact them directly.

It was not acceptable the nurse relayed a message to your wife and yourself through another nurse that she did not need to speak with you on discharge. I will share your comments with the Ward Sisters and Lead Nurses and would welcome any further feedback to jonathan.wright@meht.nhs.uk