"Care of my elderly father"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / Respiratory medicine

I am so disappointed at the level of care for my 85 year old father on Dunston Ward. My experience has been upsetting and even more so for him. Admitted with a respiratory problem, my father is mentally alert but, because of being made weak through a chest infection for which has been admitted, needs basic help to the bathroom. Because of the workload of staff, his buzzer calls are not answered and the solution to the problem has been to give him incontinence pads. What a let down to my father and to his family. We are distressed but not as much as he is.

Response from Fiona Devine, Director of Communications, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We are so sorry to hear about your father's experience.

We would be very grateful if you would speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will look into your concerns. You can contact PALS on either on 01603 289045 or at their email address: pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Update posted by AnnSim (a relative)

Many thanks to the Matron at the N&N and staff on Dunston ward for our meeting today with an excellent outcome and confidence for ongoing care.

Thank you for sharing your comments, we're pleased that the meeting was helpful. We will make the Matron and her team aware of your updated feedback. Thanks once again.