"Worst experience of my life"

About: Royal Sussex County Hospital

I gave birth in this hospital. Had a C-section at 9.30 am and was left in post-op room until midnight. Asked not to be given strong medication, was given regardless and was sick straight after. My baby, more importantly, would not stop crying. After several requests for a doctor to see my baby, a foreign doctor appeared and examined him and said, in very broken English, that my baby had a heart condition, his heart had shifted to the other side, and he would always have a heart condition. After a lot of insistence, my baby was sent to Trevor Manor for some tests. It was then discovered that he did not have a heart condition, he had collapsed lungs! Shocking! He was in intensive care for a while and now he is a happy little boy. The only good thing about this hospital was the neo-natal intensive care - it was excellent, including the equipment, staff, doctors. I contracted an infection as well while I was in hospital. And to make it all worse, they lost all my paperwork! Disgraceful!

Response from Royal Sussex County Hospital

I was so sorry to learn of your experience. If you would find it helpful to discuss your obstetric care please do contact us by email at complaints@bsuh.nhs.uk or by telephone on 01273 664511