"Staff nice but facilities awful"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

Took a family member into A&E at weekend. Amazed to find that cubicles have no beds. With only one chair in room ( nothing else ) and an adult with vertigo and an infection I did wonder if I had gone to wrong hospital It was almost impossible for the doctor to examine the patient without crouching down. I am sure the staff are working under a lot of pressure but they were helpful. These conditions are unfair to the patients and the staff. Please bring back the Bournemouth A&E that we know and admire. PS The reception staff were wonderful

Response from Royal Bournemouth General Hospital

Dear Anonymous Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We will look into this and provide a more informed response within 7 days. Thank you again for your feedback. Sue Mellor Head of Patient Engagement

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback and please accept my apologies that the response has taken slightly longer than I anticipated.

Having been in touch with one of the Emergency Department managers and from professional knowledge, many of the cubicles have chairs only and the decision to place a patient in a cubicle with a chair or a trolley is made based on clinical need by one of the team. As all patients are expected to be out of the department within four hours and are treated as quickly and safely whilst endeavouring to give high quality care the chairs are more appropriate for many patients.

I appreciate that this is a slightly different style and is not acceptable to everybody. Please note that we have reviewed this again and we do take feedback seriously and would like to thank you again for taking the time to give us your comments.

Sue Mellor Head of Patient Engagement