"Thumbs up mainly to southend Hospital"

About: Southend Hospital

I have had many ops in Southend. In 2011 I broke my shoulder in 3 places and when we arrived at hospital in absolute agony the a&e receptionist then said to my son you might as well go home, come back at 6 in the morning when we should not be so busy. My son was furious and we waited a very short time, had x-ray and found at my shoulder broken in 3 places. Wish I had reported her at the time. I think the actual nurses are good but the ones in the lavender coloured uniforms mostly useless. I had an endoscopy a couple of times, the second time with a nurse and never again. The experience was awful - I could not speak properly for six weeks and throat was sore. When I had it done in the first place by a man, it was o.k. All in all I think if you are really ill southend are great and I must say that the outpatients consultants/docs and nurses are first class. If I may say something about the 111 service I found this service first class. My friend in Clacton has had absolutely excellent treatment through dialling 111.

Response from Steve McEwen, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Liaison, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback. I was sorry to learn of your experience in 2011 and hope you find the A&E a very different place now. I would also like to thank you for your positive feedback and will pass this on to the staff.

Response from Southend Hospital