"I was treated as a real person, with politeness and respect"

About: Peterborough City Hospital / Sexual health clinic

This is part one one of what I hope will be a two part story. Through my own stupidity I think I have contracted an STI. This was probably 2 years ago. it has taken me that long to realise that I really should do something about it.

I have always thought that as a 55 yo male, the staff at one of these clinics would fall about laughing. Nothing could be further than the truth. In a mad moment I booked an appointment with 48 hrs notice and yesterday I turned up fearing the worst.

From the moment I walked through the doors to the clinic, I was treated as a real person, with politeness, and respect and most importantly in a friendly way. In today speak it was a very customer focused service. The reality was all my worries had gone away with a couple of minutes. Oh why hadn't I done this a long while ago.

Within 5 mins a very simple and confidential form has been completed and some 10 minutes later I am shown to a consulting room. There an equally friendly nurse takes further and yes intimate notes. Do not be embarrassed, Then a quick blood test and urine test is taken. That is all there was to it.

I was not showing any symptoms so a doctors appointment is not required. The tests have been done. I now have the 14 day wait for a text message. I felt it was important to one, thank the staff for totally dispelling all my fears about attending, and secondly, whatever the result, I am confident of the best possible advice and treatment.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to feedback and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the relevant staff.