"Excellent A & E Service"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

I had reason to bring my son to A & E in the early hours one day in February this year. Kidney transplant patient. He was on the verge of collapse, blood pressure had dropped dramatically. We arrived by taxi, luckily traffic was light. From going through the doors to coming out of Wigan 2 days later, after they have stabilised him, to be transferred to Salford, they dealt with him with all the speed, skill, expertise that the doctors and nurses possessed. I was just amazed at what I was seeing. Every second counted and believe me they used every second. I will be forever grateful because I believe they saved his life that night. If we had had to travel any distance I shudder to think what may have happened. He also had to be admitted again a few weeks later with similar symptoms but not quite as severe, this time. We have a population of over 300,000 in this borough, we need and 24 hr A & E. This service they give at Wigan Infirmary is second to none. This A & E must survive.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for posting your story in respect of the care received by your son in the A&E Department at RAEI. I am very pleased to note that this care was excellent and that the staff were as efficient and professional as we would expect them to be. The A&E Department at RAEI is a busy department and please be assured that there is no suggestion that our A&E will close. This was recently reiterated by the Chief Executive, Andrew Foster in his monthly column in the local press.