"My call was answered by a beautifully polite lady"

About: Croydon University Hospital / Accident and emergency Harmoni / NHS 111

(as a service user),

When I called the 111 service my call was answered by a beautifully polite lady. She asked me why I was calling and I explained this to her. She asked me a number of questions and then said she would put me through to her supervisor. This person also asked me a number of questions and then said she would send an ambulance for me.

I said I lived very close to the hospital and would be able to get there by myself, I didn’t need an ambulance. She was very concerned and made sure I had my mobile phone with me and to call 111 again if I experienced any difficulty on my way to the hospital.

At the Mayday Hospital in Croydon I went to the Accident and Emergency where I had to wait my turn. I was seen by a nurse and then a little while later I was also seen by a doctor. They gave me some tablets and sent me home but would also need to have an x-ray; they would send me a letter.

They did write to me and I had my x-ray on Tuesday, I’m still waiting for the results.

The 111 service is better than the 999 service as they ask you how you are; you don’t have to call out an ambulance when you don’t need it.

Response from Croydon Health Services NHS Trust

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are glad that you had a good experience when using 111 and our A&E services and we hope that you have a swift recovery.