"Month long wait for X-Ray results"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I know that this issue is Kent-wide but it is ridiculous. In light of the current TV adverts, media campaigns and frequent stories on web sites (http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Canterbury-Coastal-Don-8217-t-scoff-having-cough/story-19543664-detail/story.html#axzz2ZsLoLW72 is just one example) I became fearful of the long-running cough I have so went to my GP. He advised blood tests and a chest x-ray. The blood tests came back a couple of weeks ago but the x-ray results have still not arrived and it will be four weeks tomorrow that I had them done. I am fully aware that there have been issues due to a new system but was there really no back up plan in place in case it did not work as expected? People are being made to worry (and rightly so) over long-lasting coughs but to then extend that worry by at least a month is ridiculously unfair. What will happen if someone who has been waiting a long time for their results finally gets them only to find their condition has worsened significantly since the original x-ray? How can a GP accurately prescribe treatment based on an x-ray taken a month earlier? What would happen if something that shows on the x-ray was simply treatable but in the month that had passed the condition had worsened to an untreatable point? I am extremely frustrated and angry with this situation. I have been phoning my GP every day, sometimes two or three times as after being on hold for ten minutes, I really had to get back into work. When I do finally get through I am once again told my results are not there any my worry grows even further.

Response from Julie Pearce, Chief Nurse + Director of Quality + Operations, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Thank you for providing feedback and I do sincerely apologise for the delay. We are working hard on ensuring that we catch up with the backlog as quickly as we can. Please do email me your details and I will see if we can speed things up for you.

My email is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net