"Bowel cancer screening/colorectal surgery"

About: Airedale General Hospital / Colorectal surgery Airedale General Hospital / General surgery

I did the home test for the bowel cancer screening programme and the result was abnormal. I was invited to interview by BCSP and the friendly and helpful nurse explained the options - basically one - a colonoscopy. I really didn't fancy that but there was no alternative so I attended as an outpatient. Alas, the procedure didn't work as my bowel was inaccessible. I then went for a colonography which established the presence of many polyps in my colon which were possibly cancerous. I had another colonoscopy which again didn't work so I was offered bowel surgery to remove the obstructions.

The bowel surgery took place in November. The consultant surgeon was excellent, as were most of the staff who treated or cared for me. I was on the accelerated recovery programme and was up and walking two days after surgery.

The nurses were super - friendly and caring and three of them were outstanding in their approach to their profession, really putting the patient first and trying hard not to cause any unnecessary pain during the essential procedures.

At no time did I feel that I was 'just another number' I find it difficult to believe the stories of neglect in other NHS hospitals and I'm sure it is greatly exaggerated."

Response from Karen Dunwoodie, Patient Experience Lead, Airedale NHS Foundation Trust

This must have been a worrying time and we are so pleased to read of your positive experience whilst a patient at Airedale Hospital. Your comments have been fed back to the staff concerned.