"Excellent care"

About: North Devon District Hospital

Whilst on holiday my son developed a pilonidal abscess and a nasty infection. After a trip to A&E, he was referred to see a surgeon the next morning, who immediately booked him into theatre for surgery that afternoon. The care provided by the ward sister and her team on Fortescue Ward was excellent, not just that given to my son, but to all those in his same sex ward. Yes, there were grumbles about paperwork (as an NHS employee myself, we put the NHS to rights!) but the team's consistent caring attitude was clearly evident and was a marked improvement on care we had received historically at our local hospital in Suffolk. Well done Barnstaple Hospital - you made a tricky time all the more bearable - thank you.

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the website - its always valuable to recieve patient feedback, especially from another member of the NHS.

I was very pleased to read that your son was seen promptly, and surgery arranged for the following day, as it must have been a very worrying time for you presenting to an unfamiliar Emergency Department, as you were on holiday and away from your local hospital.

I have shared your positive comments, with both the Emergency Department manager and Fortescue ward manager where I know they will be warmly recieved, and shared with the staff.

I do hope you managed to enjoy the rest of your holiday and that your son has made a full recovery.

Jayne