"Excellent care and attention received from the Gynaecology Department Royal Victoria Hospital"

About: Royal Victoria Hospital / Gynaecology

I suffer from recurrent miscarriage having suffered 4 consecutive miscarriages and am under the care of a wonderful Consultant Gynaecologist in the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast. He is empathetic, compassionate, always polite and courteous and always accessible (despite the fact he is extremely busy). He couldn't do more for me. What’s more, I found all the staff in the gynae dept of the Royal Victoria Hospital to be exemplary and very hard working from the admin staff through to the consultants. My Consultant is extremely busy and when he is not squeezing as many patients as he humanly can into clinics, he is in theatre. In short it is a very caring, supportive place.

My consultant is a brilliant surgeon and top class clinician; his reputation goes before him (and I would not be alone in this opinion; many of his other patients would concur ). He has helped many women who suffer from recurrent miscarriage to get their babies and he has also successfully treated many other women with other painful and distressing gynae conditions. You only have to read their testimonials to realise just how much he has made a positive impact on their quality of life. In short, the consultants in the gynae department of this hospital are worthy of high praise indeed.

Miscarriage and particularly recurrent miscarriage is extremely upsetting and distressing. I know this from personal experience. But all too often women who experience miscarriage can confuse feelings of anger and disappointment with the situation they find themselves in with medical incompetence and this is not right.

Consultants are severely stretched and overworked in the present NHS. Yet, the consultants, medical staff and admin staff in the gynaecology department work consistently to improve the lives of women in very difficult circumstances. It is all too easy to rail against medical professionals and hospital staff on forums like this and elsewhere and to create an unrealistic impression of the levels of care and attention which are actually delivered. The real gripe is that so many NHS services are severely under resourced. In view of this, I think the staff in the department do an absolutely amazing job.

My experience of the level of care and attention received by the consultants, nurses and admin staff in the gynaecology department of the Royal Victoria hospital is exemplary. I consider it to be the norm on a day to day basis. And I say all of this as a woman who still has to get her baby!