"I was left alone, scared and in pain"

About: Southern General Hospital / Maternity care

I had a c-section in the Southern General Hospital. It was my second c-section and I lost a lot of blood, felt dizzy and quite unwell in the following few days. The room I was in had 3 others, all who had had c-sections. The treatment we received was very poor (with the exception of one young member of staff who cared). We were treated like inconveniences, we were scared to press our buttons and were constantly told they were too busy.

On one occasion, a mum who was upset in pain and struggling to change her babies nappy asked for help, she was told they were too busy and she should do it herself. My husband then saw the nursing staff sitting sharing out malteesers. On another occasion, at 11pm, a member of staff took my temperature then walked out. I called to her to ask why and she said (while walking off), you may have internal bleeding.

I was left, alone, scared and in pain, not knowing what the outcome would be. I believe my experience there was a contributing factor to my difficulty adjusting to looking after my baby following the birth. A maternity ward should be warm and supportive and I didn't experience this.

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service National Coordinator, Patient Advice and Support Service

Hi,

We have read your story and thought you'd like to know that, if you want, we can help you get in touch with the Southern General Hospital to take this forward. The Patient Advice and Support Service is an independent service which provides free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare. We can:

• provide you with information, advice and support if you want to give feedback or comments, or raise concerns or complaints, about healthcare provided by NHS Scotland

• write letters and help you with filling in forms

• help you prepare for meetings with health staff

• help you to see your medical records

• help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a patient

You contact the service via any citizens advice bureau in Scotland. Visit www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk/ or use the phone book to find your local CAB.

Best wishes

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to read that your experience was as poor as described in your posting and I am sure that my colleagues in the Midwifery service would be very keen to look into the circumstances in greater detail, if you feel up to sharing this with us. The birth of your child should be a happy occasion and you should not have been left to feel alone, scared or in pain.

In the meantime I will ensure that your feedback is drawn to the attention of the Lead Midwife, and if you felt able to provide more detail, you could send this to me at paul.cannon@ggc.scot.nhs.uk, we will look into your experience in greater depth.

If I can be of further assisance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul