"Kindness and dignity appreciated"

About: John Radcliffe Hospital

My wife was admitted to the JR recently and passed away during the night. She received superb care and attention and we were kept fully informed regarding the treatment and prognosis. We were later moved to a private room so that she could pass away in a quiet area. The staff there handled the situation and us with tremendous calmness and caring. Thank you to them all. Either side of my wife in A&E were two men who were intent on causing as much difficulty as possible and were preventing the staff helping them through their behaviour. Both were threatening to complain and sue the hospital. For one patient, security were called to restore order. How the A&E staff can cope with this abuse and obstructive behaviour I just do not know. They show remarkable composure. This was on a Sunday afternoon so I dread to think what conditions must be like on a Saturday evening. it is worth mentioning that one nurse received an unwarranted rant from a patient which clearly upset him. He then moved to see my wife and immediately was calm and professional. Thank you so much JR staff - what ever negative comments you receive on this review site, there is one family that thinks you do a great job and will always remember the kindness and dignity you showed my wife and their mother.

Response from Deborah Dunn, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mr Batchelor

Thank you for your positive comments and thanks to the A&E Staff at the John Radcliffe Hospital. The Trust welcomes all comments from patients, or their families, and we will ensure that your praise is passed on to the department. I would like to take this opportunity to offer you my sincere condolences on your sad loss and once again thank you for your kind comments. My name is Deborah Dunn, Patient Advice and Liaison Manager, and should you wish to contact me please call 01865 223257 Monday to Friday 08.00 to 16.00.

Response from John Radcliffe Hospital