"Total waiting time was 3 hours."

About: Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS) The Princess Royal Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

My appointment at Princess Royal Hospital (orthopeadic and fracture clinic) was at 11am in late June. The appointment was cancelled at 9: 15am the same day. The appointment was rearranged for the following day.

A very large clinic! Receptionist was very polite. She said that there was a lot of people to be seen. After approximately 2 hours, I was seen by Dr Fellows, a member of Dr Perkins team.

Dr Fellows apologised for the long delay. I was examined and asked plenty of questions. Then they sent me for x rays.

Receptionist came out and apologised to myself and a small backlog of people for the long delay.

Had my x rays of right knee, left ankle, very thorough. Finally went in to see Mr Fellows again, he said although x rays show severe wear, no action at this stage, he said to telephone Mr Perkins secretary if things get worse.

Total waiting time was 3 hours.

Response from Cathie McKenzie, Patient Advisor, TRAQS, NHS Telford and Wrekin CCG

Thank you for forwarding feedback regarding your appointment at the Princess Royal Hospital in late-June.

Unfortunately, once the initial appointment has been arranged by TRAQS we have no further control on the outcome of your referral, nor are we able to comment on the service provided by the hospital. Although it is noted that during your waiting time you were kept informed of the current situation and did receive an apology from Dr Fellows.

Nevertheless, thank you again for forwarding your comments.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

On the downside, it is disappointing to hear that your original appointment was cancelled and that you then faced a delay. On the plus side, I am pleased to hear that staff kept you informed about the delays (I don't think this happens often enough) and that the assessment and treatment was thorough. I very much hope that you haven't found the need to telephone the consultant's secretary because things have got worse, and that instead you have made a great recovery.