"As a dialysis patient, I really ..."

About: The Princess Royal Hospital (Telford)

As a dialysis patient, I really must praise you on the new renal unit. The faccilities are excellent and such an improvement on what we had before.

It is good to know that there is space for more stations so that the unit can grow to meet the needs of more people with kidney problems. I hope the Welsh agree to fund a unit in Welshpool soon so that my friends do not have to travel miles for their dialysis.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

Thank you for your comment.

Our renal staff are rightfully proud of the new renal satellite unit and the facilities it offers for people needing dialysis. We are also particularly grateful for the commitment and involvement of patients which has helped make this new unit a reality.

The new satellite unit in Telford alongside our unit in Shrewsbury mean that we are well placed to provide these important services for people across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin now and into the future.

However, it is recognised by Powys Local Health Board and Health Commission Wales (the "commissioners" or purchasers of health services for people in Powys) that more capacity is needed to meet the needs of people in mid Wales. They are currently considering options for future services for people in Powys. Powys Local Health Board can be contacted via their website (http://www.powyslhb.wales.nhs.uk/).

Thank you again for your comments.