"Poor Interaction"

About: Castle Hill Hospital

I was referred to Castle Hill by my GP in consultation with my usual cadiac consultant, for cardiac ablation. I was seen by two different doctors. Neither gave me his name; neither was the doctor named on the appointment letter. One doctor never actually looked me in the face at any point. I was told that ablation was not suitable for someone of my age and that I would do better with a pacemaker. A 24-hour monitor was fitted on a day (Saturday) which I explained was my least active, wheareas my problems were most obvious on Sundays, when I went walking. I was prescribed digoxin although I told the doctor I had reacted badly to it in the past. (I took the digoxin but in consultation with my GP abandoned it after a week of headaches and sleeplessness.) Finally a letter to my GP from Castle Hill stated that I had said that breathlessness was not a problem; whereas I had actually referred to it as a major problem, particularly when walking up slopes, climbing stairs or arising too abruptly from my chair. I have since had an ablation carried out successfully at another hospital. There are two points to be made; The doctors didn't listen and didn't show any interest in my views I suspect from something overheard that there is a resource/workload management problem .

Response from Jackie Wileman, PALS Officer, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear anonymous,

Thank you for placing your posting on the Patient Opinion website. We are sorry and most disturbed to read of your recent experiences at the Castle Hill Hospital Cardiology department. If you so wish it would be appreciated if you made contact with Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals Trust PALS - see below, as we would be able to investigate the areas in which you raised concern and would ensure that the staff concerned are made aware.

Should you choose to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on (01482) 623065 or email on pals@hey.nhs.uk.

If you would like to become more involved in decisions about local healthcare, we are recruiting members. By becoming a member you receive our quarterly newsletter, find out more about your local NHS and help us improve local services. You can also attend our ‘medicine for members’ sessions and respond to questionnaires. You don’t need any special skills or experience to become a member; you just need an interest in local health services. There is no commitment, you can get involved as much or as little as you choose.

For more information please either email your.nhs@hey.nhs.uk or telephone the Corporate Affairs office on telephone number (01482) 675165.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local NHS services.

Kind regards,

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust.

Response from Castle Hill Hospital

Thank you for leaving your feedback on NHS Choices.