"elderly patients."

About: Leicester Royal Infirmary / General surgery

(as other),

I spent a couple of days in Lri and my treatment was not brilliant, but acceptable. My experience was 2 years ago. I could not really complain about my treatment, but goodness I agree with the comments about how some of the elderly are treated. An old lady was in our ward who had a water infection. She was in pain and confused. This poor old lady was distressed one night and I rang my bell on her behalf. When the nurse arrived and I told her she said"oh she's a nuisance"! Would she have said that about a crying child! She just needed to go to the toilet. Then she was plonked on the commode and left! She got more distressed, as she couldn't go(she had a water infection! ) None of us could really help her due to the fact we were ill and not nurses! We tried to reassure her by calling over to her. She was left for ages! I was so upset I lay and cried! All she needed was a bit of kindness. when she felt better she was a lovely lady. She lived alone and had few visiters I found it SO sad.

What the hell are these people doing as nurses if they have no compassion? ? ? I still find it hard to get out of my head. I did send a comment about it at the time.

Also my mum was in there before she died and I felt she was neglected. Not convinced its just this hospital. It seems scary being old on the NHS.

Response from Tiffany Jones, Head of Communications & Engagement, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. You say that it was two years ago, was it investigated at the time? If not we'd be willing to look into it now.

If you'd like to do that, please contact our PILS team at pils.complaints.compliments@uhl-tr.nhs.uk

Kind regards,