"Absent consultants"

About: University Hospital Of North Tees

I had orthopaedic surgery at this hospital but the operating surgeon was never present at any of my follow-up reviews. I had some concerns about my results and despite me (and my GP) writing to request a consultation with the senior consultant I/my GP received no reply. Most of the time I was seen by practice nurses, who were all very professional and helpful, but they clearly cannot give the same opinions as the surgeon. I never saw the same person twice. Interestingly, it is very easy to see a consultant privately so the NHS consultations are mostly confined to the actual surgery. I heard similar complaints being made by other patients in the waiting room. I don't think this is a problem only at this hospital - it is rife across the NHS. The standard answer on this point will almost certainly be 'we have a lot of patients to see' but guess what, you can definitely see them (in person) if you attend their private clinics.

Response from University Hospital Of North Tees

We are sorry to hear of your concern over not being able to see the same consultant all the way through - from operation to follow-up appointments. We would welcome you to discuss your experience and voice your opinion by contacting our patient advice and liaisons service at PALS.NT@nth.nhs.uk or by phone on 01642 624719.