"Near Fatal Drowning Experience at Exmouth"

About: Exmouth Hospital Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / Accident and emergency South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

In April I was knocked overboard unconscious by the boom on the yacht I was sailing on. I was rescued from the sea just off Exmouth Pier after 10-15 minutes in the water. I was not breathing and had gone into cardiac arrest. I was landed at the pontoon at the entrance to the dock. CPR was applied on board and after landing ashore and as a result of the prompt actions of many I have miraculously recovered seemingly unscathed.

I know that Martin Freeland a nurse from Exmouth Hospital and a Coastguard was in the vicinity at the time and was instrumental in applying CPR and with my resuscitation. I have met up with him recently to thank him for his part. I would like to express my gratitude to others in the Emergency Services involved including the ambulance crew who took me to the police helicopter and to the crew of the helicopter for transferring me quickly and safely to Exeter Hospital.

Thanks so much.

Dear Epic

Many thanks for taking the time to share your story.

I am so glad that you made such a good recovery!

It is always very rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide the very best care to patients when they need it most. I will share your post with staff and managers who, I'm sure, will very much appreciate your comments.

Thank you, again.

Laura.

Response from Patient Engagement & Experience Administrator, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Epic

Thank you for sharing your story. It is always so rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.

Tracy