"Waited over an hour for a 5 minute appointment -..."

About: St Peter's Hospital (Chertsey)

I recently visited the Outpatients dept to see a vascular surgeon. Firstly trying to find outpatients was a nightmare, I ended up parking somewhere far away and then having to traipse through a tired looking run down hospital that had broken beds and dim lighting. I wasn't even sure the wing I went through was still being used. There were no staff to ask and it looked derelict. Then I had to wait over an hour to see a consultant (as they were running late - even though the notification TV said 20 minutes wait) to then have a 5 minute consultation with the consultant, who has recommended me for scan that I will have to wait another 2 weeks for. When I got back to the car I then had to pay £3.00 to park as I was just over an hour there. Totally ridiculous.

Response from St Peter's Hospital

We are sorry to hear that your experience at St Peter’s Hospital was not better. We have recently updated all of the directional signage around the hospital and thought the signposting was clearer – so it is concerning to hear that you found it difficult to find outpatients and we will feed this back to our estates team. We would also like to apologise that the clinic was overrunning and you were kept waiting. It can be a fine balance between keeping our clinics running on time and not rushing patients through their consultation if they have a lot of questions – but we appreciate it is particularly frustrating when you are not kept well informed. We have fed this back to the sister in charge of outpatients who will make sure the screens are working correctly in future.