" Lack of patient transport on the Isle of Arran"

About: Arran War Memorial Hospital / General Psychiatry Scottish Ambulance Service

Because there is no patient transport here on the Isle of Arran I feel compelled not to return to Crosshouse hospital for dialysis where I have to attend 3 times a week.

I often get abandoned at Brodick Pier as if I was unclaimed luggage. I am a diabetic, renal patient and I already suffer from severe depression, finding myself in this situation is more than I can cope with mentally and physically.

The patient transport system on Arran is non-existent, it needs to be reviewed urgently and an adequate system put into place

Response from Craig White, Assistant Director, Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We are preparing to make a change

Dear Timo

I was saddened to read of your experiences of support with transport and very concerned to read of the impact on how you are feeling emotionally and physically as a result of this.

I would like to make arrangements to help sort this out for you and would be grateful if you would consider contacting my office on 01292 513607 so that arrangements can be made to ensure that you have an improved experience. You do not need to have this added concern on top of the demands of coping with your feelings of depression and your kidney disease symptoms.

This will be our first priority for you personally, though I will also want to ask colleagues to review the arrangements that are in place for transport on Arran and to share the information here when that is available.

I am grateful to you for using Patient Opinion to let us know of your concerns - thank you. We will make it our priority to support you if you decide to make contact to do so.

Yours sincerely

Professor Craig A White

Assistant Director, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Response from Gina Alexander, Director, Patient Opinion Scotland, Patient Opinion

Hi Timo

Just on to offer our (my!) apologies! We didn't let the Scottish Ambulance Service, who run the patient transport service, know about your story, a complete oversight on my part. This is why they've not responded as quickly as they normally would. Sorry to all!

Hope things get sorted out soon,

Best wishes

Response from Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Timo,

Apologies for the delay as Gina explained above.

I am sorry you have had a poor experience whilst attending your hospital appointment from Arran. I would advise you in this instance to contact our Complaints Team at our National Headquarters on 0131 314 0000. Or alternatively if you would prefer to have a conversation about your concerns then please call me (Jen Jamieson Ball, Communications Manager) on the same number above and I can put you in contact with our local Area Service Manager for Arran.

Best wishes,