"both parents end of life care"

About: Grantham & District Hospital

Both my parents were diagnosed with cancer at the start of the year. Both initially wished to die at home, however circumstances changed and as they became unwell they both were admitted to Grantham hospital. Whilst a hospice may have better suited their needs all the local hospices were full so both parents spent their last few days in grantham hospital. The nursing care was fantastic - my parents were really well looked after and at the same time we were given the privacy and the precious time we needed with Mum and dad. The hospital is yet again under criticism for a high death rate but maybe the huge lack of care available for end of life in hospices and at home is a contributory factor to this. I cannot thank the nurses and the staff enough and the team on WARD 2 really are fantastic. I have absolutley no complaint or worries.

What a heart-rending story; I am so sorry for your loss which I cannot even begin to imagine. For you to take the time to leave your feedback at such a difficult time is simply amazing and I know the Ward 2 staff will feel very emotional and proud to read what you have written - I will of course pass it onto them. I'm glad they took such good care of your mum and dad and importantly of you too.

Your comment about hospice care is really interesting to hear as at Grantham a project is underway in partnership with St. Barnabas to have a 'hospice in hospital' service - with a purpose built 6 bedded unit - we hope this will open later this year and are looking forward to this work.

Again, thank you so much for leaving a posting - it is much appreciated and valued; with our thoughts, condolences and best wishes...........